Gillette, today, announced the release of their latest innovation; the Gillette Fusion ProGlide razor. Unfortunately for me and the rest of Western Europe it will be 12-18 months before we see it, with our readers over in the US seeing an earlier release in June.
Obviously without getting my hands on the new Fusion ProGlide I can’t offer a thorough review, but please bear with me, for I think a thorough hands on review of the Fusion ProGlide and its competition is due.
Okay, I can’t tell you how it feels, shaves or performs but what I can tell you is what I can see(picture above) – admit it, it looks fantastic! I can feel my beard shaking in it’s hair follicles. Seriously though and I know this sounds ridiculous but when I first saw it I got genuinely excited. I would love to hear your comments about the visuals… thoughts of Lamborghini’s, Terminators and Apache Helicopters are evoked – and what Ape or Gentleman wouldn’t want any of the previous three aforementioned items? Hmm, I’m getting over-excited about the Fusion ProGlide’s looks aren’t I? Damn, sorry.
The truth is and the key for me and all Apes and Gents is the shave, is it smooth? Does it tug and irritate? It’s only a matter of time before I get my hands on one to answer these questions. If it’s as good as the Fusion Power razor I reviewed last year then it should be special when you bear in mind the Fusion series was launched four years ago, which means four more years of testing(on no fewer than 30,000 men by Gillette researchers!) and refining, combined with the innovations below. Gillette, send me one, please! I’m not prepared to travel to the US to get one.
Technology and innovation in the Gillette Fusion and built on in the new Gillette Fusion ProGlide razors:
- Re-engineered Low Cutting Force Blades with 15% thinner, finer edges and our patented Thin Uniform Telomer coating process enabling the blades to cut effortlessly through hair with less tug and pull.
- A Blade Stabiliser to maintain optimal blade spacing for comfort while allowing the blades to adjust to the contours of a man’s face.
- A streamlined Snowplow Comfort Guard which channels excess shave prep to help maintain optimal blade contact, stretching the skin for a close, comfortable shave.
- An Enhanced Lubrastrip™, 25% larger than before, infused with mineral oil and lubricating polymers, enabling the razor to move smoothly over skin even on repeat strokes.
- An improved Precision Trimmer including an enhanced blade, a comb guard to better align long hairs, and new rinse-through slots.
- A Redesigned Handle with bigger, more ergonomic grips for better control, enhanced weight and balancing and improved transition between front and back shaving surfaces.
- An innovative Microcomb, exclusively on Gillette Fusion ProGlide Power, that helps guide hair to the blade.
Key points for me here are the Re-engineered Low Cutting Force Blades offering less tug and pull – always welcome! The Enhanced Lubrastrip™ with oil and lubrication and the larger handle which I’m hoping will sit well in my ape sized hands.
Chip Bergh, Group President of Global Male Grooming at P&G had this to say:
“With Gillette Fusion ProGlide – we’re introducing a series of unique technologies that address critical areas for a better shave and deliver incredible comfort and performance. We have tested this product extensively through its development cycle, involving more than 30,000 men around the world. In fact, after using ProGlide, nearly 9 out of 10 Fusion users said they would buy new Gillette Fusion ProGlide. By taking the world’s number one selling razor and making it better – dramatically better – we are defining a new standard for the more than 600 million men around the world who trust their faces to Gillette.”
Keep your eyes peeled for updates on the arrival of Gillette’s latest offering and my review of the razor market.
There will be two versions, the Gillette Fusion ProGlide Manual and Gillette Fusion ProGlide Power with a US retail price of $10.99 and $12.99 respectively. UK, and worldwide prices to be announced at a later date.
*update – the Gillette Fusion ProGlide is now available to the world from Niven & Joshua.