Founded in 1865 by Georges Favre-Jacot at the age of 22, Swiss watch manufacturer Zenith has a century and a half behind it and is resolutely taking its place in the third millennium with a new 100th of a second chronograph movement.
Firstly, the Zenith El Primero 21 has history- originally called the Defi it has been a part of the brands’ history since 1865, and in 1969, the “i” was changed to a “y”, creating the Defy collection. The collection remained until the late 90s, and today the Defy is back with the ludicrously handsome Defy El Primero 21, housed in an imposing 44 mm titanium case.
While remaining true to its roots, the latest iteration of the Defy El Primero boasts a COSC-certified in-house movement driving a hundredth of a second display by means of a central hand, with its unique and exclusive dynamic signature of one rotation per second. Its double-chain structure is based on two regulators, made of Carbon-Matrix Carbon Nanotube composite, a patented new material that is insensitive to magnetic fields and temperature gradients to a degree well above existing norms.
- New 1/100th of a second Chronograph movement
- Exclusive dynamic signature of one rotation per second
- 1 escapement for the Watch (36,000 VpH – 5 Hz)
- 1 escapement for the Chronograph (360,000 VpH – 50Hz)
- Insensitive to magnetic fields and temperature gradients
- Double chain structure with 2 regulators made of Carbon-Matrix Carbon Nanotube composite
- Movement El Primero 9004, Automatic
- COSC Certified
- Jewels 53
- Frequency 36,000 VpH (5 Hz)
- Power-reserve min. 50 hours
- Finishes Oscillating weight with “Côtes de Genève” motif
The Zenith Defy El Primero 21 pictured (very top) is available with a black rubber and alligator leather coated strap with a titanium double folding clasp buckle. There will be two other versions, another in titanium and one in ceramised aluminium.
- Zenith Defy El Primero 21 in black ceramicised aluminium £9,900
- Zenith Defy El Primero 21 in brushed titanium (open dial) £9,100
- Zenith Defy El Primero 21 in brushed titanium (closed dial) £8,300