Top 10 Hair Transplant Surgeons in Turkey: 2023 Edition
If you’ve been considering getting a hair transplant in Turkey, don’t make another move until you read this. I’ve pulled together a list of the top 10 hair transplant clinics in Turkey where you’ll have a safer and healthier experience, and the chances of a positive outcome will be maximised.
It should be said that this list is far from exhaustive, and only my personal opinion. However, it will guide you towards ethical and honest clinics and arm you with the information you need to make an informed decision and evaluate whether that deal you’ve been eyeing is too good to be true (very likely).
Use the resources below to help you gain perspective. The world recognised authorities and organisations are not there sell you surgery, like that flashy Instagram ad you’ve seen, but tell you what you need to hear. If you don’t like what you hear then we’ve all done our job, because surgery should always be a last resort. It’s not something to do on a whim because an ‘influencer’ told you how easy and cheap it was.
Personal disclosure: before you read on, it’s important to disclose that I work directly with a few of the clinics listed below (not all) and receive financial compensation for their association with me. I am not commissioned by any clinics. I receive a monthly flat fee for these clinics to be associated with SpexHair.
The Dangers Of The Turkey Hair Tranplant Industry
Hair transplantation is NOT a cookie cutter procedure. This type of surgery is incredibly difficult to perform accurately and ethically, so don’t for one minute think that all hair transplant doctors and clinics are equal, or in many cases even perform the same surgery.
A profusion of hair transplant clinics have been popping up in Turkey, targeting patients from other countries with aggressive marketing tactics and very low prices. It’s led to thousands of people from across the globe flocking there for hair transplant procedures, with many naively thinking they’re getting a quick, affordable fix.
The total number of patients is probably alarming, with somewhere in the region of 6,000 transplants performed each month. Unfortunately, the numbers can’t be confirmed because, with no regulation in place there, no official statistics are available. This should ring alarm bells immediately.
It’s a sad fact that in my role as a transplant ambassador, I’ve met a number of men who were seduced by an Instagram advert and hopped on a plane to Turkey and are now brutaly disfigured and presented with limitaions and who are beyond repair. This isn’t scare mongering – some of them have attempted to commit suicide, it’s that serious.
It’s these crooks and unethical operators that have quickly given the hair transplant industry in Turkey a bad name. However, this is an unfair reflection on those clinics and surgeons who are doing the right thing and providing patients with the highest levels of service and care. And yes, still at more affordable price points than you may find in other developed countries.
Translating The Lies
Dishonest and disreputable Turkish hair transplant clinics have honed their marketing strategies and built an industry on lies and deception. They spend big bucks on social media and sponsored ads to target people who may have made a couple of Google searches about hair loss. The majority of these Instagram accounts have big follower numbers so seem legitimate.
They use aggressive marketing techniques like pressuring clients into making a decision quickly, and many pay for fake reviews to make themselves appear more reputable. Some of these clinics work with equally questionable travel agencies or brokers who refer clients to them in exchange for a kickback.
If you’ve seen the following assurances advertised, let me break down you what the reality likely is:
- “We have access to the best technology and equipment.” Really? How could you, a layman, possibly know if this is true? Some of these clinics use outdated or substandard equipment to slash costs and you would likely never know, even when you see them in person.
- “We have highly experienced and skilled doctors.” A lot of these sketchy Turkish clinics employ technicians with minimal experience to do the menial, repetitive task of transplanting individual hairs. A doctor isn’t even in the building never mind the surgery room.
- “We offer unlimited grafts so you get value for money.” There’s a limit to how many grafts can be safely transplanted in a single session. Transplanting ‘unlimited grafts’ can lead to poor results and medical complications. What these guys really want is to only have to treat you once and then wash their hands of you.
- “We offer guaranteed results.” Great, but what happens if you don’t get the results you’d hoped for? Are you going to fly back to Turkey and try and find the clinic again? These places regularly shut up shop then reopen under a different business name. Their guarantees are completely meaningless, designed to trick vulnerable people into signing up with them. Trust me, their ‘guarantees’ are certainly impossible to enforce.
- “We take care of everything so you can have a holiday as well as a hair transplant.” Disreputable Turkish hair transplant clinics create package deals including luxury accommodation at bargain prices to tempt vulnerable patients. Often, the accommodation turns out to be substandard. Or the accommodation is fine, but the hair transplant is disastrous.
- “Free, free, free…” As the old saying goes, “You get what you pay for”. And what you don’t pay for often comes with different kinds of costs you didn’t expect. Sure, you might get a ‘free’ hotel and taxi, but when you get home and your scalp is bleeding and infected, or hair is not growing as it should, the real cost quickly becomes apparent.
- “Discount on another service.” Be very careful if other surgery is offered as this is a ‘go to’ play when patients who are often already sedated via medication and on the operating table. These clinics then try to push the option of eyebrows, beards or moustaches to go with their new hair.
How To Avoid Becoming A Victim
You’re a smart person. But sometimes smart people can be vulnerable to being tricked by scammers as their self esteem plays tricks with their mind. Remember, with any type of surgery the onus is on your to do the research before going ahead. There’s no excuse for ignorance, especially when your health is at stake.
That said, here’s how to ensure you don’t fall victim to a dangerous hair transplant in Turkey:
- Don’t believe everything you see/read. If it looks too good to be true, it probably is.
- Do your homework. Thoroughly research the hair transplant clinics you’re considering.
- Ask for credentials. Request proof of the clinic’s license to perform hair transplants. Ask if it will be a doctor or a technician performing the procedure on you, and request proof of their qualifications.
- Request a consultation. This can be done via a video call from where you live. It will give you a chance to evaluate their professionalism and get a feel for the trust factor.
- Find out what equipment they use. You are well within your rights to ask what equipment the clinic uses, including model numbers. Research these and you might find that they are way outdated, giving you an indication that this is a clinic you shouldn’t trust.
- Gauge their communication. Do they respond promptly to your emails or calls? Are they willing to answer all your questions, no matter how big or small?
- Use Google Maps. Find out the address of the clinic and look it up on Google Maps. See what you can learn about the local area – is it a district known for medical professionals, or in the middle of an industrial area?
- Never pay upfront. Clinics that request a large deposit or full upfront payment are not to be trusted. Reputable clinics usually only ask for a fair deposit or partial payment beforehand, and the balance upon completion.
- Don’t believe unrealistic promises. Results vary from patient to patient and cannot be guaranteed. ‘Guarantees’ are not worth the paper they are written on.
- What kind of follow-up care is offered? If they say that you will be absolutely fine after the procedure, alarm bells should ring. Even in the world’s leading clinics complications can occur.
- Go with your gut. If you find yourself hitting brick walls when trying to find out information about a clinic, or you’re getting the run-around, move on. Your instincts are usually right.
Top 10 Hair Transplant Doctors In Turkey
Based on my extensive network of contacts and even personal relationships with some of the world’s best hair transplant surgeons, I consider the clinics below to be the very best in Turkey.
As previously mentioned, this list is only my opinion, and not exhaustive. As you scan it, you’ll notice that many have ‘IAHRS’ after their name. This indicates that that surgeon is a member of the International Alliance of Hair Resortation Surgeons. The IAHRS is a great starting point for anyone interested in researching hair transplantation surgeons.
Dr. Özlem Biçer, IAHRS
Dr. Özlem Biçer is a renowned hair transplant specialist and chief surgeon at the Bicer Hair Clinic, which she founded. Dr. Bicer is a skilled surgeon with decades of experience in hair transplantation and restoration and performs both FUE and FUT procedures. A remarkable lady who only has the patient’s best interest in mind while providing state-of-the-art hair transplant surgery.
Patients travel from all over the world to be treated by Dr. Bicer, whose reputation for expertise and outstanding results is known globally. A passionate educator and researcher, she dedicates time to attending international conferences and seminars to continue furthering her education and expertise. She’s also a Hair Transplant Mentor accepted member.
Dr. Erkan Demirsoy
A respected medical professional who has performed thousands of hair transplant surgeries over more than 18 years. Originally, he started out using FUT, known as the ‘strip’ technique. Today, his preferred technique is FUE (Follicular Unit Extraction). He takes on just one patient per day to ensure each procedure is executed with great precision, and performs all hair transplants himself with assistants at his side.
An expert in the field, Dr. Erkan Demirsoy has trained many other surgeons in these specialised techniques and presented his research at national and international conferences. He’s an active member multiple professional organisations and is dedicated to providing the highest level of patient care and achieving outstanding results.
Dr. Hakan Dogany, IAHRS
Dr. Hakan Dogany is a highly skilled hair transplant specialist based in Istanbul. The founder and chief surgeon of the state-of-the-art Hakan Dogany Clinic, he has performed thousands of successful hair transplant procedures for patients from around the globe.
Specialising in FUE, Dr. Doganay uses the Choi implanter pen for placing the grafts into the recipient area to minimise the potential for graft damage during the placement. He designs and creates natural-looking hairlines by using single hair follicular units.
Dr. Koran Erdogan, IAHRS
Dr. Koray Erdogan founded his own hair transplant clinic in 2001, while also participating in European and American conferences and seminars. By 2004, he had developed his own unique FUE system, the ‘Sequential Technique’, which has been recognised in international publications. He has demonstrated this technique at congresses and workshops across the world. In 2016, Dr Erdogan founded the World FUE Institute with other respected names in the hair transplant field.
Dr Erdogan’s unparalleled surgical planning allows for real-time surgical adjustments that deliver a natural appearance. His work has gained the attention of FUE surgeons throughout the world and Dr. Erdogan exclusively performs FUE hair transplants at the ASMED Surgical Center. He’s also a member of Hair Transplant Mentor.
Dr. Muttalip Keser
A world-class pioneer in hair restoration, Dr. Muttalip Keser developed his own patented FUE technique called the ‘Keser Punch’. He has performed thousands of successful hair transplant procedures for patients from Turkey and 30 other countries and is well known for his exceptional surgical skills and the natural-looking results.
Dr. Keser performs the procedures himself in his state-of-the-art clinic in Ankara, ensuring the best possible outcome. He regularly publishes scientific papers and presents at conferences around the world. He is also a respected researcher and educator.
Dr. Kaan Pekiner
Dr. Pekiner is a plastic and reconstructive surgeon who has been performing hair transplants in Turkey since 2012. He has now personally transplanted 500 patients. In 2017, Dr. Pekiner opened his own clinic in Ankara, called NeoHead.
The doctor specialises in the manual FUE method and treats only one patient per day. A member of both ISHRS and FUE Europe, Dr. Pekiner is a very highly regarded surgeon in his field and one well worthy of your consideration for an accurate, personalised hair transplantation plan.
Dr. Tayfun Oguzoglu
Dr. Tayfun Oguzoglu graduated from Gazi University Faculty of Medicine, Ankara, Turkey in 1990, going on to establish the DrT Hair Transplant Clinic in 1998. Later, in 2016, he opened a further branch in Kyrenia, Cyprus.
Dr. Tayfun Oguzoglu started performing FUE procedures in 2003 and shared his experience with many of his colleagues by setting up the first FUE workshop in Turkey. In 2004 he solely focused on doing FUE procedures, giving particular prominence to manual FUE operations.
I highly recommend a consultation in order to obtain an honest appraisal about your personal sitatuon from this extremely ethical surgeon.
Dr. Ozgur Oztan
Dr. Ozgur Oztan is the founder of the HLC hair clinic. He’s a surgeon I hold in high regard, and I work in association with due to his excellent reputation and experience in this field.
Dr. Oztan has been performing hair transplantation soley via FUE since 2003 and is the president of FUE Europe. I was fortunate to meet him in Athens at 2023’s FUE conference and had the pleasure to watch his presentations.
Dr. Oztan is also a founding faculty member of the Global Hair Loss Summit. He’s an incredibly skilful, ethical and caring hair transplant surgeon and I certainly recommend consulting with him about your hair transplant requirements.
Dr. Dogan Turan, IAHRS
Having performed more than 3,500 hair transplant operations since 1999, Dr. Dogan Turan is highly experienced. A pioneering doctor, he was an early adoptor of the Choi pen method of hair transplantation, sometimes known as DHI (Direct Hair Implant). He also performs FUE procedures.
In 2018, Dr. Turan became medical director and co-owner of the FUECapilar Clinic in Istanbul. He is a globally recognised hair transplant surgeon and regularly represents the industry in the media.
Dr. Resul Yaman, IAHRS
Dr. Resul Yaman developed the ‘modified low speed micromotor’ technique, which has made the procedure safer, more effective and less damaging to the scalp.
Himself a sufferer of hair loss since his early 20s, Dr Yaman is intimately familiar with the mental impact of male pattern baldness. With 13+ years of hands-on experience and over 1,000 successful hair transplant procedures to his credit, he uses state-of-the-art technology and the latest, safest methods to ensure patients’ excellent results.
Dr Yaman’s Istanbul clinic is supported by doctors of 15 different specialties and all procedures are performed in their specialist hospital facility. Therefore patients are in capable hands every step of the way. It’s a clinic I’m proud to work with and help provide exposure to.
Further Resources To Explore
When researching a hair transplant surgeon or clinic for your own needs, the following resources can help with your information-gathering process:
- The Bald Truth UK: A weekly hair loss radio show that discusses hair transplants, hair restoration and all available hair loss options. Hosted by me, Spencer Stevenson and Spencer Kobren, the founder and president of the American Hair Loss Association.
- The Mane EVENT with Joe Tillman: you can watch on Joe Tillman’s The Hair Transplant Channel.
- Industry Associations: IAHRS (International Alliance of Hair Restoration Surgeons), AHLA (American Hair Loss Association) and FUE Europe.
- Global Hair Loss Summit: This is the most relevant educational platform for clinics and surgeons new and old in the hair loss, hair transplantation and regenerative medicine fields. For further insight visit Global Hair Loss Summit.
- Forums: Join in the conversation, learn from others and share your experiences, all in the comfort of a supportive online environment. Try BaldTruthTalk, HairLossExperiences, Hair Transplants Forum and BelliCapelli Hair Forum.